Saturday, January 08, 2005

a dead man's cross

I glanced at my mom while I stood inside the Baptismal tank, getting prepared to tell everyone in my church that I am a child of God and a new official member of the church.

She didn’t even look up at me.

My heart broke and mended itself as I was immersed into the water.
When I stepped out, the deacon asked me how it went... I expressed the joy of being baptized but inside it felt as though I had disappointed my mom in the worst possible way.

December 19th was the day I got baptized.
2 days earlier my mother agreed to come a 2nd time.
2 days before that she said I'd be rebelling against generations of Buddhists in my family if I get baptized.

“I’m so sorry... I shouldn’t have ever made you come... I’m so sorry, mom...”

With her eyes as red as mine, she reached into her purse and pulled out a small red container. “Your dad used to wear this,” she said, “so don’t say I never gave you anything on your baptism.” I cradled the container and twisted the lid open. Inside there was a solid gold cross pendant with Jesus on it, attached to a matching chain.

I broke into tears and hugged her tighter and longer than I ever have before.
Happiest day of my life? Unquestionably.

No comments: