Monday, September 05, 2005

A walk through Proverbs

For the past month or so, I’ve been reading Proverbs for my devo. I wanted to post a small blurb about the verses that stuck to me at the end of each blog, but never got around to it until now (since I wake up every 2 hours, this is the 3rd night in a row and today I’ve been up since 7am). I’m in chapter 20 now, so to catch up, I’m simply going to write out the verses and not explain their significance to me unless it hit my like a football in the groin. (The bolded ones are the ones I want you to read if you don't feel like reading them all). There are some pretty wise quotes in Proverbs; you should read it also.

“My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” - Proverbs 3:21-24

“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.” - Proverbs 4:23-27

“Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.” - Proverbs 9:8-9

“Be sure of this: The wicked will not go unpunished, but those who are righteous will go free.” - Proverbs 11:21

“One man pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth. A man's riches may ransom his life, but a poor man hears no threat.” - Proverbs 13:7-8

“Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.” - Proverbs 13:10

“Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty, but from the strength of an ox comes an abundant harvest.” - Proverbs 14:10

“Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.” - Proverbs 15:10

“A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.” - Proverbs 15:30

“The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.” - Proverbs 15:33

“To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue.” - Proverbs 16:1 ---> This one really made me think... probably because I didn’t understand it. But I did a little research and from what I found, this verse tells us how God instills His plans into our hearts with the Holy Spirit, but it is only through His power that it will be done.

“The LORD works out everything for his own ends— even the wicked for a day of disaster.” - Proverbs 16:4 ---> This was also a loud verse, mainly because I have struggles with fully depending on God. This verse reminded me of how He is in control of everything – despite all our failures and imperfections, He can still use us in His plans ... ~sigh~ I need to trust Him more...

“There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” - Proverbs 16:25 ---> Ah ha! This is why I am never certain about my decisions, because what may seem so right to me may not be what God wants me to do... I learned from an excellent exercise book (Experiencing God) that whenever God reveals His plans to you, He'll always confirm it through the Bible, prayer, the church, and your Christian community.

“Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.” - Proverbs 16:32

“A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” - Proverbs 17:22

“A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.” - Proverbs 18:2

“The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him.” - Proverbs 18:17 ---> You see, this is why I hate gossip. Things like this are so obvious, yet so unspoken... good ol’ Proverbs

“The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” - Proverbs 18:21

“A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” - Proverbs 18:24 ---> this one made me tear...

“Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless man goes hungry.” - Proverbs 19:15

No comments: