Saturday, October 08, 2005

2-tier my butt

I love talking about the Canadian healthcare (HC) system. Anyone who has spoken with me about this topic knows that I am currently anti-privatization (present me with opposing evidence-based support and maybe I’ll look more favourably towards the private sector). I’ve had a lot of intriguing debates about it, especially with a number of people who have very strong views for pro-privatization.

My main reasons for my views on the “2-tier” public/private HC system

Many people believe that if we had a paralleling private system where patients can purchase the treatment they need; it can not only relieve them of the long waiting lists for themselves, but also allow those who are waiting be pushed up on the lineup.
It won’t work. Here’s why:

  • Physicians and HC workers in the US (they have a fully private system) get paid almost twice the amount as the ones in Canada do. What will stop Canada’s physicians from transferring to the private hospitals with such incentives? And if they do pull physicians out of the public system, there would be just as much, if not more, waiting for those people who cannot afford private HC.
  • It’s been shown that the care received in private systems does not match up to the care received in public system. I’m assuming it’s because they try to see as many patients as possible to maximize their pay (not diagnosing thoroughly), hiring not-as-skilled but less-expensive laborers (for housekeeping, kitchen staff, etc.) which may affect its cleanliness and overall efficiency, the less patients = more desperate for patients... and who knows what that might lead to.
  • People waiting for organ transplants or hip (or other body parts) replacements aren’t suddenly going to experience an increase in the number of donors; they’re still going to have to wait.
  • People complained when the government delisted some services off OHIP (e.g. eye examination, dentist checkups, etc.); would people not complain more when we need to pay for more services that are deemed “medically necessary”?
  • A small hospital costs millions to operate. Who is going to fund the initial funding to build these private hospitals? I hear Alberta, who is currently trying to open Canada’s first private hospital, is asking the federal government for funding. Where does the government’s money come from? Taxes. Are we willing to pay more taxes, or reallocate funding from public services like education, to build hospitals for those who are wealthy enough to pay for expensive treatments (I say ‘expensive’ because generally, treatments are hundreds to thousands of dollars)?
  • Can private HC not become for-profit? I don’t believe so. I think when shareholders, cost-savings, marketing, competition, wants/demands, and other economics’ terms get involved – it’s inevitable. What good is a for-profit HC system? We don’t know what we need when we’re sick; physicians tell us what we need. It’s the ultimate monopoly! I recently saw a video that stated that our HC system is a potential multi-trillion dollar market – it’s no wonder companies are trying to get a piece of the action! Especially those from the south of the border, trying to slowing move their way up into this “market”.
  • This brings me to my next point... I don’t think healthcare is something to be purchased like any other commodity. It’s not our choice to get sick, we just do. And it’s not like we enjoy getting treatment. Health is something sacred and affects every aspect of our lives.
  • Should those who richer be treated faster? Should those who have better insurance be treated better or faster than any middle class person who needs urgent care? Why is money a determining factor as to how others will live their lives? Is this fair? These are the types of questions that will be raised if a so-called “2-tier” HC systems stems in Canada. Not to mention this goes against the principles of the Canadian Health Act.

-------------------------------
I have a lot more to say... I’ll probably write it in my next post. Most of the points I made are backed by evidence-based literature. If I were a real geek, I would’ve referenced them... though I thought about it, I decided that sleep will help more in the long run.

One last point: The best way to help our HC system is by PREVENTION. (or get rid of the “free-loaders” who abuse the system by choosing to damage their health, then demand treatment for themselves when ill... but that’s not feasible.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So i didnt' read this post... but i read your rap post.. and i must say..

1) sum serious rhymes you droppin dere ; )

2) welll normally i would be saying " juliieeeeeee" but since that was almost a year ago.. i figure ur prolly past those thigns.

3) now i can't look at you the same way.... jks! ull always be the kickass softball player i know as julie from the lions ^^