Saturday, October 01, 2005

Pride: mother of all sins?

Today (Friday) for fellowship, we had a book study in our small groups. Included in my assembly are: Willie (co-leader), Tracy (committee member), Albert, Chris, Richard, and me (the few people missing: Antony, Ben and Judy).

After about an hour of sharing about our childhood life, Chris and Richard had to leave for worship practice... that’s when the real sharing began. (not saying there was anything wrong with the 2 who left; we just started to answer the questions that were set out for the night)

Anyway, the 4 of us had a very moving conversation... it’s been a long time since I was so indulged in a small group in this depth of intimacy. I loved it.
One of the questions was:
Have you ever done something (or not do something) to someone where it made you feel like the lowest person in the world?

You can imagine the type of discussion this was.

I was astounded by the humility of this group... sharing and confessing things a common person wouldn’t even say aloud. I’m also very proud of them. (I say “them” and not “us” because sadly, I am yet to be at that level of openness to share what is heavy on my heart...) The only problem is what happens when the rest of the group is there. Will we be as comfortable? Will people be able to share?

... I guess there’s nothing left to do but wait and see... but it’s amazing what happens when people lower their pride and take a step back to really analyze themselves and their situations. =o)

1 comment:

Darren said...

GG Julie.. GG

Take Pride away!! TAKE IT AWAY!! haha I'm glad your group has that level of intimacy =)